Click the image below to read the eBook and discover how we saved over £19,000 in energy costs and eliminated over 25 tonnes of CO2 emissions, in just one household, in just one year.
We’re Anne, Alan and Emily, a family from Northumberland, England. Anne’s a ceramic artist. Alan works on transport and energy projects . Emily’s at University, studying Medicine. Since the 2010s, we’ve been making a serious effort to ‘go green’. Bit by bit, we’ve switched to electric cars, put solar panels on the roof, and invested in couple of big batteries to store solar (and off-peak grid) energy for later use. In 2021-22 we invested in a further major upgrade: replacing our oil-fired central heating and hot water boiler with an Air Source Heat Pump system, to really attack our carbon impact.
We’ve learnt loads of useful stuff as we’ve gone along, including that it’s actually possible to save a lot of money and save the planet. We really “turned it up to 11” by investing in Smart Energy technologies. That investment enabled us, in just one year, in just one household, to save over £19,000 in energy costs, and to eliminate over 25 tonnes of CO2 emissions.
These extraordinary results have generated plenty of interest, so we decided to publish an eBook, to share our experience. You can find it on Apple Books, by clicking the image at the top of this page.
This website brings together all the data on which the book is based, and has practical advice which we hope readers may find useful. We’re including…
- Kit: Information about the equipment we have installed, and on how we use it to radically reduce the energy we use and the cost we pay.
- Money : Information on the cost of our installation and how quickly it will be paid back.
- Performance : regular updates on the energy and financial savings our system is making, in order to demonstrate the benefits which can be achieved in real-world use.
- Links : suppliers we have used to electrify our lives, whose products you may find useful.
For us, Electrifying Your Life means:-
- Using 100% renewably-generated electricity instead of fossil fuels to power as much of your life as possible.
- Generating as much as you can yourself from solar (or other renewable sources) and using it locally, thereby reducing the need for electricity from the grid.
- If there’s a shortfall between the energy you can generate and the energy you need, then buy only renewably-generated electricity from a grid-connected supplier.
- And doing all of this at the lowest possible cost, to generate actual hard cash savings.
Ultimately, it’s probably the last point that’s most important. The world is full of people with good intentions to solve the Climate Crisis. But it’s likely that most of them won’t make the necessary radical changes until it can be demonstrated that they’ll actually be financially better off when they do.
So the purpose of this website is to prove, with hard data from our own real-world experience, that it is possible to Save Money and help Save The Planet.
If you’d like bespoke, personal, advice on how to define and optimise a system to suit your specific requirements, please email Alan to discuss.
For amusement, we’ve also included some stuff which takes a Big Picture view of the whole thing.